Hazleton firefighters fight Thanksgiving morning fire

LUZENRE COUNTY, Pa. – Just after midnight on Thanksgiving, November 23, Hazleton City Fire and Medic 11 were dispatched to 265 North Wyoming Street in the City for a reported building fire.

Chief 3 was on scene shortly after dispatch and reported smoke showing from a three story taxpayer at the intersection of Wyoming Street and Diamond Avenue.  The chief assumed command and requested a re-tone for a working fire.

Ladder 1 arrived and positioned on the Diamond Avenue side of the building followed by Rescue 3 who secured a water supply.  Engine 2 took the A/D corner on Wyoming Street while Engine 4 secured a second water supply at Diamond and Carson Streets.

Chief 3 reported he had fire in the upper floors and was working on evacuating occupants.  He requested back staffing for Engine 5 and Tower 1.  Crews were instructed to stretch a line into the building.

Smoke was seen pushing from the upper floors and the eves on all sides of the buildings.  Chief 3 requested additional back staffing and to send Engine 5 and Tower 1 to the scene. Tower 1 was directed to back in along the “D” side and go to the roof.

Chief 3 gave an update that he had a 100 x 100 building with crews working inside with two lines stretched.  Conditions weren’t improving so the chief requested Hazle Township for a Rapid Intervention Team and West Hazleton rescue for manpower to the scene.  McAdoo was dispatched for their quint and West Hazleton for an engine to cover the City.

Crews began to make progress on the fire and found a fire in a second floor apartment that extended to the third floor.  A crew from Tower 1 performed vertical ventilation and then began to open up the eves on the D side.  Interior crews had to perform extensive overhaul where they found hidden fire throughout including the crawl space.  Ladder 1 worked to overhaul the Diamond Ave. side of the building.

Hazle Township Tower 7 set up RIT at the A/D Corner.  West Hazleton crews arrived and went in to assist with overhaul.

Firefighters had the fire under control shortly after 1 AM.  PPL Electric arrived on the scene and cut power from all sections of the building.

The American Red Cross was dispatched to the scene to assist multiple displaced residents.

Mutual aid units were released before 2 AM and the City fire department was clear with the exception of the Ladder and an engine by 2:20 AM.

City officials and a State Police fire marshal are investigating the cause of the fire.

Click here for additional photos

This entry was posted in Fires. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.