Shenandoah Heights duplex damaged by fire for second time

SCHUYLKILL COUNTY, Pa. – At 2:10 AM on Monday, October 30, Schuylkill County 9-1-1 dispatched a first alarm assignment for 193 Ohio Avenue in the Shenandoah Heights section of West Mahanoy Township for a house fire.

The first alarm brought Shenandoah Heights Fire, William Penn Fire, Altamont Fire, Shenandoah Fire Department (Squrt & Ladder 745, Engine 742, Rescue 741), Mahanoy City West End and Englewood for a Rapid Intervention Team.

First responding units were advised that police were on scene and were confirming a working fire.  Shenandoah Marshal 747 arrived on the scene and assumed command where he found a working fire at 189-191 Ohio Avenue.

Command directed Squrt 745 to grab a hydrant in the middle of the block and proceed to the front of the building.  Ladder 745 followed behind the Squrt and was able to set up in a tight area.  Engine 881 secured an additional water supply on Swatara Street and came down to the A/B Corner.

Engine 369 was directed to secure an additional water supply and go past Ohio Avenue where they would find heavy fire consuming the rear of the dwelling.

Engines 742, 888 and 367 arrived and staged on Ohio Avenue and sent their crews to the front of the building.  Crews stretched multiple lines through the front and the rear of the building where they encountered fire on all floors.  Command was now reporting fire visible through the roof.  Firefighters continued to make an aggressive push in the building and knocked down the remaining fire.

Interior firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within thirty minutes of arriving on scene and began to overhaul the building.  A crew from Ladder 745 ascended to the roof and began to open up some additional areas.

The fire was officially placed under control at the 60 minute PAR check.  Overhaul was continued throughout the early morning hours and crews began to be released.

This same building was the scene of a fire on April 9, 2013 where the opposite side of the duplex was damaged by a garage fire.

This entry was posted in Fires. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.